The Design of Fine Art

Balance – Symmetrical

Balance – Asymmetrical

Emphasis – Contrast

Emphasis – Scale

Emphasis – Color

Proportion & Scale

Pattern & Repetition

Contrast – Tonal

Contrast – Color

Movement & Rhythm

Unity – Simplicity

Unity – Proximity

Reflection Questions

1. What strengths and weaknesses do you see in your own work?

The strengths that I see in my work is that I take some more abstract photos that look really cool. Whether that be because of the angles that I take the photos with or the things in the picture itself. It helps my photos stand out from the rest. A weakness I have is that I struggle to find pictures, as I want to take only really good pictures in my opinion and ignore what could be good in someone else’s eyes.

1. How might you improve or refine your approach in future photography projects?

Some ways I might improve my photography in the future is not just thinking in what I would like, but what others would. The photos are really for an audience, whether that be the teacher, classmates, or the general public. So appealing to them instead of to myself is something I want to work on. 

1. Pick one of your photos, what emotions or messages did you intend to convey through this photograph?

My picture of the flag in movement and rhythm has a lot of emotions. It’s shown as swaying in the calm wind all by itself in the sky. It looks pretty patriotic, and that is a message. The emotions could be seen as calming and relaxing. 

1. Are there specific principles of design you would like to explore further in your photography?

I think that getting patterns and repetition is good to have in photos. Specific patterns can really capture people’s eye, especially if a pattern is really unique. Another one is emphasis, as making one thing stand out from the rest is another principle that catches the eye of the audience. 

1. What concepts or techniques do you want to experiment with in your next project?

Now that I know about the cameras we are using, I’d like to try something different. Whether that be zooming in and out or using different options the camera presents, I want to be able to utilize those to make better photos. A technique that I want to use is using things that will better help make the photo stand out such as the dominant eye or rule of thirds.

3 thoughts on “The Design of Fine Art

1. The two photos I like the most from your post are your photos for Pattern/Repetition and Unity – Proximity. The contrast of the white and black parts on the net over the grayish background, making the pattern pop and is very attractive to the eye. I also am very fond of the focal length of the photo of the clouds, it makes the image feel almost consolidated, and the slight gradient of the sky from the top left helps contribute to this. One photo I think could be better is your photo for Balance – Asymmetrical. I think the photo could benefit from lower exposure, it would bring out the shadows and lessen the harshness of the light. One photo that I admire the composition of is your photo for Movement/Rhythm. You utilized THE RULE OF THIRDS, lining the subject up with the left intersection instead of centering it, and it makes for a much better image.

2. The two photos that I liked the most were his movement and rhythm photo and his unity proximity photo. I like his movement and rhythm photo because you can see the wind pushing the flag back and forth. I like his proximity photo because the picture looks so peaceful and calm with the picture of the sky. The photo in the series that could be better is his emphasis color picture just because it looks rushed. For his pattern and repetition picture, I can see he used the pattern and repetition technique from the black-white-black-white pattern of the soccer net.

3. My favorite photos were your tonal and scale photos! The bird is so cute and creative! I love your creativity on these photos. Those photos were a labor of love, where I can see you aimed to explore the beauty of tonal variations and the intricate world of scale. The bird image, in particular, allowed me to see you blend creativity with nature’s charm, capturing a delightful moment that combines artistry and the wonders of the animal kingdom. On the other hand, my least favorite photo is the one of the trash can. The emphasis of color is lacking and the contrast is slightly dulled down. Also, my eye isn’t exactly pulled toward the trash, but rather the fence line. Your picture of the flag has MOVEMENT AND RHYTHM, and has a lot of emotions. It’s shown as swaying in the calm wind all by itself in the sky. The emotions could be seen as calming and relaxing, but also possibly lonely. Overall lovely Job!